JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – North Florida baseball begins ASUN Championship competition tomorrow in Fort Myers as the Ospreys open up against Eastern Kentucky in the first game of pool play.
UNF is the seventh seed as one of four teams in Pool B. The Ospreys are up against Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville and Jacksonville State in Pool B. One of the four teams will advance to the semifinals slated for Friday.
North Florida’s game tomorrow against Eastern Kentucky and Thursday’s game against Jacksonville State will be played at JetBlue Park, while Wednesday’s game against Jacksonville is at FGCU’s Swanson Stadium.
All games will be streamed on ESPN+. Streaming and live stats links are on UNF baseball’s schedule page.
|2022 ASUN Championship | Fort Myers, Fla. (May 24-28)|
|GAMES 54-56 (57-58 TBD)||May 24 (11 a.m.) | May 25 (7 p.m.) | May 26 (11 a.m.) | May 27 (11 a.m.) | May 28 (1 p.m.)|
|UNF in the Tournament||15-18 all-time|
|Last Appearance – 2021||ASUN Championship Final Four (Third Place)|
|Social Media||@OspreyBSB | #SWOOPLife | Facebook | www.unfospreys.com|
Against The Opponent
EKU: First-ever meeting
JU: JU leads, 47-41
JSU: UNF leads, 3-2
UNF in the Tournament
UNF is making its 10th appearance in the ASUN Championship … the Ospreys are 15-18 in ASUN postseason play … North Florida hosted two of the last three ASUN Championships … North Florida reached the final day of the ASUN Championship in 2018 … last year North Florida came very close to reaching the finals from the winners bracket side … this is the fifth-straight season that the ASUN Championship has been held in the Sunshine State … Stetson served as the host in 2017 and 2019, while North Florida hosted in 2018 and 2021.
Brock Edge was named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District First Team May 12 … he is the second graduate transfer to earn the award for the Ospreys in as many years after Alex Kachler earned the same honor last season … Abraham Sequera is coming off a four-home run series against FGCU … the switch-hitting infielder is the first Osprey to reach 10 home runs in a season since Tanner Murphy did so in 2018 … he is the first North Florida player to tally 50 RBI since Yahir Gurrola did so in 2017 … Cade Westbrook is just two hits shy of 60 for the year. Westbrook would give UNF five different Ospreys with at least 60 hits if he tallies two more, which would be the first time UNF has done so since 2016 … Peter Holden has gone at least five innings during every start that he has made this season … UNF has already made a trip to Fort Myers this season, taking two of three from the Eagles at Swanson Stadium during mid-April.
Playoff Contention (per the ASUN)
ASUN Tournament Participants = Eight teams will advance to the ASUN Tournament
ASUN Tournament Qualification = The top three teams from each division will qualify automatically for the ASUN Tournament. The tiebreaker criteria shall be used to break ties as needed in the division to determine the three automatic qualifiers from each division. The remaining fourth place divisional finishers will then be compared to each other with the team with the higher RPI advancing. The remaining fourth place finisher will then be compared to the fifth place finisher in the opposite division, with the higher NCAA RPI ranked team advancing.
Our Opponents in Pool B
- EKU is coming off a 35-19 regular season that saw the Colonels also go 20-10 in ASUN West Division Play
- The Colonels earned a share of the West Division Regular Season Championship
- EKU won its most games since the 1999 season
- Reliever Will Brian broke EKU’s single season record for saves. He currently has 14 saves
- Outfielder Kendal Ewell is the catalyst for the Eastern Kentucky offense. He is hitting .451 in conference games
- The Colonels lead the ASUN in walks with 275 and are second in home runs with 67
- Starter Isaac Milburn is 2-4 with a 5.33 ERA over 49 innings
- The Dolphins are the fifth seed, coming in with a 27-25 overall record and 13-16 mark in ASUN play
- JU is coming off a 2021 ASUN Championship title that saw the Dolphins come out of ASUN Divisional Play with an upset series win against top-seeded FGCU. JU then won three more games to claim the title and earn a trip to the Columbia Regional
- Christian Coipel is instrumental to JU’s offense, posting 13 home runs and 48 RBI. Without Coipel, JU has only hit 10 home runs
- Jacksonville is a threat on the bases, using the four-headed base-stealing attack of Chase Malloy, Blake DeLamielleure, Cam Ridley and Jackson Grabsky
- Righty Mason Adams is likely to start the Tuesday game JU has against Jacksonville State. Adams is 5-4 with 99 punchouts and 26 walks
- The Gamecocks are making their first appearance in the ASUN Championship since 2003 after departing from the league for the Ohio Valley Conference
- JSU is 26-27 and 19-11 in the ASUN, entering as the #8 seed in the ASUN West Division
- Jacksonville State is riding a five-game winning streak
- JSU is balanced offensively, getting at least 30 RBI from six different players, led by Carson Crowe’s 12 home runs and 44 RBI
- No Gamecocks player has double-digit steals
- JSU and its opponents are almost mirror-images of each other offensively. JSU has a .796 OPS, while its opponents are at .794
- Jacksonville State is strong up the the middle, turning the most double plays in the league with 49