JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – North Florida baseball plays in its final road series of the regular season just miles away from campus when it goes to Jacksonville to face the Dolphins in a three-game series beginning Friday, May 13 at John Sessions Stadium.
The Ospreys currently stand just six RPI points behind Stetson in the RPI rankings, while Jacksonville is No. 100, 45 slots ahead. UNF has six games remaining, with three coming this weekend and three more the following weekend against FGCU.
UNF | LHP Peter Holden
JU | RHP Mason Adams
UNF | RHP Jason Gonzalez
JU | RHP Michael Darrell-Hicks
UNF | RHP Dominick Madonna
JU | RHP Christian Graham
|OSPREYS VS. DOLPHINS | JOHN SESSIONS STADIUM – JACKSONVILLE, FLA.|
|GAMES 49-51||May 13-15 | 7 p.m., 7 p.m., 1 p.m.|
|Series History||JU leads, 45-41|
|Last Meeting||JU won, 12-4 (4.10.22 at UNF)|
|Social Media||@OspreyBSB | #SWOOPLife | Facebook | www.unfospreys.com|
Against The Opponent
North Florida and Jacksonville have already played a three-game series against one another this season as UNF took two of three games from the Dolphins back in April at Harmon Stadium … the Ospreys have won eight of the last 11 games against Jacksonville dating back to the 2021 season that saw the two teams play each other eight times … UNF leads JU, 17-16, in games played at John Sessions Stadium.
Last Time Out
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – North Florida baseball scored four runs in the fifth to erase a four-run deficit, but after zeros went up on the scoreboard for the next four frames, visiting Stetson (22-25, 7-17 ASUN) plated three in the top of the 10th inning as UNF was clipped in the series finale, 7-5, Sunday, May 8.
The same starting rotation seen the last two weekends against Kennesaw State and Stetson can be expected to be seen this weekend at Jacksonville … lefty Peter Holden has won his last two decisions, while going at least five innings in six-straight outings … he was named May 2 ASUN Pitcher of the Week for his complete game shutout against Kennesaw State … Jason Gonzalez went a career-best seven innings in UNF’s one hour and 51 minute 4-1 win against Stetson Saturday … righty Dominick Madonna has made starts in three-straight weekends after missing a two-month chunk of the season … the righty has a 3.57 ERA in 17.2 innings of work.
UNF has five players with at least 50 hits on the season, while Aidan Sweatt and Isaiah Byars have already surpassed 60 hits … Brock Edge, Cade Westbrook and Abraham Sequera are nearing 60 hits as well … North Florida has not had five players reach 60 hits in the same season since the 2016 campaign.
UNF has reached double-digit hits in 21 of 48 games this season … North Florida has won four ASUN series this season … it has won three home conference series, with the lone road conference series win coming at FGCU in April … Aidan Sweatt is 42nd in the nation in sacrifice bunts … Max McKinley has earned two saves this season after starting the year and his career primarily as a starting pitcher.
- Jacksonville is coming off a doubleheader at No. 21 Florida State Tuesday in which the Dolphins were edged by one in both games.
- The Dolphins are 24-23 and 10-14 in league play, tied with the Ospreys in the win column during ASUN competition.
- JU doesn’t hit the long ball often, but when it does, it’s usually left-handed hitting first baseman Christian Coipel doing the damage. Coipel has belted 12 home runs while driving in 43.
- Friday night starter Mason Adams is one of the best strikeout pitchers in the league. After turning in the win during JU’s ASUN Championship-clinching victory against Liberty last season, Adams has emerged as the Friday night arm for JU this season.
- Adams paces the team with 93 punchouts, while walking just 22.
- JU likes to get the ball in righty-reliever Tyler Vogel’s hands. The hurler has eight saves with an impressive 1.21 ERA, fanning 35 while walking 20.
- The Dolphins like to run on the bases. Chase Malloy has stolen 19 bags, while Blake DeLamielleure has swiped 18 in 20 attempts.