JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – North Florida baseball scored four runs in the fifth to erase four-run deficit, but after zeros went up on the scoreboard for the next four frames, visiting Stetson (22-25, 7-17 ASUN) plated three in the top of the 10th inning as UNF was clipped in the series finale, 7-5, Sunday, May 8.
Both teams had very similar days statistically, with each team putting up seven hits and just one extra-base hit apiece. The pitchers of record came out of the middle relief role as veteran righty Danny Garcia earned the win with 4.2-scoreless frames, while Max McKinley was the hard-luck loser after going 5.1 innings.
Both teams left eight runners on base as the game finished just shy of two hours, the longest of the three games on the weekend.
Despite the loss, UNF (20-28, 10-14 ASUN) took two of three on the weekend, giving the Ospreys three conference series wins in four ASUN weekends at home. The Ospreys keep pace with Jacksonville for tied-for-fourth in the ASUN East Division with six conference games remaining on the year.
Cade Westbrook had a pair of hits Sunday as he went 6-for-12 with six runs and two RBI on the weekend against the Hatters.
Stetson 7, UNF 5 (10 innings)
Pitchers of Record
Win: Danny Garcia (3-2)
Loss: Max McKinley (3-5)
Save: Jonathan Gonzalez (1)
Stetson | 7R, 7H, 2E, 8 LOB
UNF | 5R, 7H, E, 8 LOB
Behind the Line Score
- A single, hit batter, walk, sac fly and ground rule double gave Stetson a 2-0 lead in the second.
- Cade Westbrook walked, Aidan Sweatt roped UNF’s first hit with a single to center, but Stetson stranded them at second and third in the second.
- UNF threatened again in the fourth after Stetson’s Austin Amaral struggled to find the zone. With the bases loaded and the count 2-0, Amaral got an inning-ending groundout.
- Stetson took advantage of a pair of free passes, scoring two in the fourth to make it 4-0 Hatters. A foul out sac fly and two-out RBI single through the left side drove in the runs.
- North Florida finally broke through in the fifth. After walks to Isaiah Byars and Brock Edge, Amaral let a dribbler off Abraham Sequera’s bat go through his legs. Cade Westbrook ripped a two-RBI single through the right side one batter later, scoring two to knock Amaral from the game. Sweatt nearly had an RBI single up the middle, but a one-hopper hit pitcher Danny Garcia, keeping the ball in the infield while driving in Sequera.
- Trey Spratling-Williams tied the game up with an RBI single down the right field line on an 0-2 breaking ball.
- Stetson had a good chance in the eighth after the leadoff batter reached on a two-base error. McKinley dialed it in to get the next three.
- The Hatters broke the tie in the 10th, using three walks, a hit batter, one single and a passed ball to go up, 7-4.
- Westbrook reached on a fielding error with one out in the 10th before Sweatt hooked a ground ball inside the third base bag for a double. Spratling-Williams plated Westbrook with an RBI groundout, but reliever Jonathan Gonzalez got the final out with a groundout.
- Jakob Bullard | 2-for-5, R, RBI
- Nick DiPonzio | 2-for-3, RBI
- Danny Garcia | W, 4.2 IP, 3H, 0ER, 0BB, 3K
- Byars and Sweatt are both in the 60-hit club this season.
- UNF and Stetson split the season series, 3-3.
- The Ospreys played their first extra-inning game since the UConn series in February.
- North Florida is 0-3 in extra-inning contests this season.
- UNF is 17-15 all-time at home against Stetson.
UNF heads across town for game one of a three-game set at Jacksonville Friday, May 13 at 7 p.m.