JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – North Florida baseball finishes a seven-game home stand with a three-game set against Stetson Friday through Sunday at Harmon Stadium. The Ospreys and Hatters are meeting for their second three-game series against one another this year as ASUN postseason implications are on the line.
Series sponsor: Ascension St. Vincent’s Performance Orthopedics & Spine
Saturday: Senior Day
Sunday: Family Day/Kids Run the Bases
UNF | LHP Peter Holden
Stetson | RHP Nick Durgin
UNF | RHP Jason Gonzalez
Stetson | LHP Chris Gonzalez
UNF | RHP Dominick Madonna
Stetson | TBD
|OSPREYS VS. HATTERS | HARMON STADIUM – JACKSONVILLE, FLA.|
|GAMES 46-48||May 6-8 | 6:05 p.m., 2:05 p.m., 1:05 p.m.|
|Series History||Stetson leads, 35-30|
|Last Meeting||Stetson won, 3-0 (4.3.22 at Stetson)|
|Social Media||@OspreyBSB | #SWOOPLife | Facebook | www.unfospreys.com|
Against The Opponent
North Florida and Stetson are set for their second three-game series against one another this season … the Hatters won two of three down in DeLand at the start of April … UNF split a doubleheader to take the middle game of the series … Peter Holden fanned eight in eight innings of work during that win … the Hatters pace the all-time series, 35-30, but UNF has had the Hatters number as of the past two years, winning seven of the last 10 games, including seven of nine last season … UNF went 5-1 in six games against Stetson at Harmon Stadium last year … UNF is 15-14 vs. Stetson at Harmon Stadium.
Last Time Out
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – UCF tallied a trio of home runs to create a 6-0 lead, but North Florida baseball didn’t relent, scoring four in the eighth while getting the go-ahead run on base before falling, 8-5, to the Knights in the final non-conference game of the regular season Tuesday, May 3.
Score Early and Late Lead
UNF is 10-6 when scoring in the first inning, but just 4-10 when its opponent scores in the first frame … UNF is 15-0 when leading after eight innings and 0-22 when trailing.
UNF has reached double-digit hits in 20 of 45 games this season … the Ospreys have five different players hitting over .300 and four with over 50 hits … Grant Grodi is the 33rd toughest batter to fan in the nation … UNF ranks in the top three in the league in triples, hits and batting average … UNF enters with a 132 RPI while Stetson is 130 in the May 3 NCAA Division I RPI.
UNF will honor 15 student-athlets for Senior Day at 1:30 p.m. prior to the Saturday game. The following Ospreys will be recognized:
- Isaiah Byars, Zach Chappell, Grant Grodi, Stephen Halstead, Justin Holmes, Ryan Jean, Darin Kilfoyl, Max McKinley, Rafael Santos, Abraham Sequera, Trey Spratling-Williams, Caleb Stafford, Matthew Tadlock, Jose Visaez and Cade Westbrook.
- Stetson is 21-23 and 6-15 in ASUN play.
- The Hatters are riding high after shutting out No. 23 Florida State Tuesday, 6-0. Austin Amaral and Dominic Stagliano combined to blank the Seminoles.
- The Hatters are 2-0 over their last two contests against ranked-ACC teams. Stetson also shocked No. 3 Miami in Coral Gables, 12-4, April 26.
- Stetson does not hit the long ball with regularity, belting the 11th most in the league.
- While not going for extra bases at the plate, Stetson leads the league in stolen bases with 79.
- The Hatters have posted 12 triples, the most in the league.
- Stetson has blanked opponents four times, while spinning a 4.47 ERA as a staff, good for second best in the league.
- Grad transfer Cameron Hill has been a spark plug for Stetson’s offense and defense this year. Hill is first in the league in triples, third in stolen bases and seventh in hits.
- Friday night starter Nick Durgin is coming off his best start of the season, a 7.0-inning shutout effort against Liberty April 29. Durgin has gone at least five frames in each of his last five starts.