JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – UCF tallied a trio of home runs to create a 6-0 lead, but North Florida baseball didn’t relent, scoring four in the eighth while getting the go-ahead run on base before falling, 8-5, to the Knights in the final non-conference game of the regular season Tuesday, May 3.
UNF (18-27) used four hits and two hit by pitches to rally in the eighth, but UCF (27-17) home runs in the second, fourth and fifth innings were too much to overcome.
The Ospreys have nine games left on the 2022 regular season ledger, with all nine coming against ASUN foes in the city of Jacksonville.
UCF 8, UNF 5
Pitchers of Record
Win: Cameron Crain (2-0)
Loss: Tony Roca (0-6)
Save: William Saxton (2)
UCF | 8R, 13H, 0E, 6 LOB
UNF | 5R, 7H, 2E, 7 LOB
Behind the Line Score
- Both pitchers settled in during the early parts of the ball game. The only blemish for UNF starter Tony Roca was a solo home run to dead center from UCF’s Ben McCabe in the top of the second.
- The home run hurt North Florida in the fourth and fifth inning. A two-run home run from Tom Josten and a three-run home run from Andrew Sundean made it 6-0.
- UNF got on the board in the fifth inning. Caleb Stafford reached on a single to center, moved to third on Tyler Gerteisen’s single and scored on an RBI groundout from Justin Holmes.
- The Knights added another run on a Joston double in the sixth inning.
- UNF strung a series of quality at-bats together in the eighth, plating four runs while getting the go-ahead run to first base. Cade Westbrook tallied a sac fly, Trey Spratling-Williams and Dallen Leach roped RBI singles and Holmes brought one home with an RBI hit by pitch.
- UCF posted an insurance run in the ninth inning thanks to Gephry Pena’s speed and an RBI single from Noah Orlando.
- Noah Orlando | 4-for-5, RBI, R, 2B
- Tom Josten | 2-for-4, 3RBI, HR, 2B
- Andrew Sundean | 1-for-5, 3RBI, HR
- Cameron Crain | 4.0 IP, BB, 5K
- UCF took the season series, 3-2.
- Holmes made his first start of the season in left field.
- Stafford made his first start at designated hitter.
- Byars upped his multi-hit game tally to a team best 19.
- Holmes had his second multi-RBI game of the year.
- Drew Leinenbach made his first appearance on the mound as an Osprey.
UNF continues its seven-game home stand with game one of a three-game series against Stetson Friday, May 6 at 6:05 p.m.