Downtown Jacksonville building demolition timeline updated

Residents in Berkman I will be able to stay in their homes during the implosion, officials said.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The planned implosion of the Berkman II Plaza is now scheduled for Nov. 14, city leaders announced at a news conference Monday morning.

Jacksonville City Councilmember Reggie Gaffney hosted the conference at the site of the plaza. Right now, he said, workers are on site preparing for the blast.

Residents in Berkman I will be able to stay in their homes during the implosion, officials said.

The update comes after demo plans were again delayed last week. On Thursday, city officials said the project had to be postponed while they wait for fencing to protect surrounding buildings and areas to arrive.

On Friday, Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry tweeted that the delay is due to supply chain issues.

“Due to supply chain issues that have delayed delivery of safety equipment, the implosion of the Berkman II is postponed,” Curry said on Twitter. “We are working to secure a new date, likely in November, and will keep you posted.”

That delay follows an earlier postponement last month, when First Coast News reported the demolition was expected to take place Oct. 17. Originally, the plan was for the 18-story building to be taken apart piece-by-piece, a process that began in July.

But, engineers in August found the structure was structurally unsafe after being exposed to the elements for too long. So, the city altered the plans to have crews use explosives to demolish the building instead.

RELATED: Demolition delayed again for Berkman Plaza II

RELATED: Berkman Plaza II expected to be imploded Oct. 17



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *